Thursday, July 05, 2012

My Alphabe-Thursday -- "G" -- Things in a Row -- Two Questions --

.

."G" is for Great: I am writing this on the 4th of July, U.S. Independence Day (breaking off from English rule) and will write about things being Great with me.

First off is our Great-grandchild, Elle.  She is a year and a half old.  This picture was taken when the kids and Grandkids had a Father's Day dinner for me.  My other Great-grandchild could not attend.

Next is my great-niece, Mandi here with her husband, Kris and soon to be Great-Great-niece.

The picture was taken at her baby shower.  As usual she received a lot of presents as the function was well attended.

The presents are shown below.
Mrs. Jim and went shopping for baby garments to give as a gift at the Great-great-niece's shower.  You will see that they are placed neatly in rows on and around the coffee table.
 

For things in a Row this Thursday, the shower gifts and the displays of baby garments at the store are my offering.

Next on my list of greats is this Great Big toad stool growing in my back yard.  You can see its size in relationship to my sandal beside it in the right  side picture.
.
My last item on my great list is the Great 4th of July we have had this year.  My list is as follows:
1.  Played golf with Mrs. Jim yesterday (link to our nineteenth hole post);
2.  Went shopping last evening and had dinner with Mrs. Jim;
3.  Watched the subdivision's fireworks show last night;
4.  Flew our American Flag for the holiday;
5.  Transported two former U.S. Marines who served our country in the Korean conflict in the Woodlands, Texas, 4th of July parade.  Between 20 and 30 thousand were believed to have watched our parade;
6.  Visited our new 'Trader Joe' grocery store.  That was a disappointment.  Tell you about it on another day, another blog;
7.  Had a barbecued chopped beef in a baked potato for lunch;
8.  Had watermelon for mid-day snack. That melon was a part of the disappointment from Trader Joe's;
9.  Watched three symphony orchestras and their associated towns fireworks (Washington D.C, New York City, and Boston); and
10.  Will have some Blue Bell ice cream soon and go to bed.
There, that is all one should do to celebrate a Great 4th of July holiday.
Here are three of our parade pictures:
[Please remember that you can click on the pictures to see them larger and you
click again to make them larger still.  Your 'Back' button gets you back into the blog.]
   
From left to right:
Photo taken by a parade watcher.  The two Korean conflict heroes in back with Mrs. Jim and I up front hogging the air conditioning;
The car we followed.  Riding it were two WWII veterans; and
Mrs. Jim with the two Korean veterans who rode with us.
[BTW, Mrs. Jim's older brother was killed in Italy when his P38 airplane was shot down over Italy by the Germans.]
You can check out more Alphabe-Thursday 'G' assignments with Miss Jenny at the head of the class. You can find her here. You might even like to join us as we go through the alphabet, one letter per week.

- - - - - - - -

.
For more things in a row please visit Pat's Things in a Row post. You might like to post your own 'Things in a Row.'

- - - - - - - -
.
And now for my Thursday Two Questions: (See Thursday Two Questions by Self Sagacity for more reading. You could also make your own by checking in at this link.)
...

Last week 's post was about produce, shopping and your eating favorites. The responses were very interesting.
.
My Two Questions for this week:
.

1. What are some of the 'Greats' in your life or week or day?
.
I  hope that I answered this fairly well in my blog for this week. At least all that you can tolerate for this reading.
.
2. How do you celebrate national holidays in your country?
.
Ditto from above for the celebrations.  For sure we try to remember to fly our American flag for each national holiday.

Bonus Question: Did you fly your American flag for Flag Day on July 4th this year? 
If you're from another country did you fly your flag for your last national holiday?

A last note here.  Adi, with the flag, is now 16 years old.  She is our Grand-dog and has lived with us for about 15 of those 16 years.  Karen, our daughter, is her mother who due to various reasons at various times could not have Adi living with her.

All for now, cheers.

Labels: , , , , , ,


Comments:
Hi Jim!! I enjoyed this post. Your Greats were great!! That is a big toad stool!! I like seeing them.

Looks like you had a lovely parade and getting to drive in it too! Whoo-hoo!!

Yes, our American flag was flying today and on Flag Day! I try to be as patriotic as I can!
 
Aw, Elle is adorable.

The baby garments make great things in a row.

We didn't make it to the parade today but we did have a great barbeque with some friends. The rest of the day we relaxed then watched the fireworks. It was all great!

Yep, there were flags on our house and all over our neighborhood.
 
Lots of baby garments looking so beautiful! That toadstool is humungous! And on Australia Day, we join in community celebrations at Dromana pier on Port Phillip Bay! There's a free breakfast, entertainment, animal enclosure, bike challenge and lots more throughout the day.
 
Well this is a GREAT post Jim. I'm so glad that life is GOOD for you & yours! I'm going to b e a GRANDMA soon so know about those bumps in tums!
 
Great greats and remarkable rows.
 
That sounds like a fabulous Fourth!
 
Jim,
This is exhaustively treated! Great! Meticulously done and very well scripted. Obviously you and Mrs Jim have had a wonderful time playing host and enjoying all the fun. Say, what are you playing at? The highest I had been was 18 and that was years ago.I'm struggling in the 20s now! Madness! Thanks for sharing!

Hank
 
Your great-granddaughter is a cutie, your great-niece is beautiful! What a great looking family! Love your rows....it's fun to go shopping for baby things.

Too bad about the watermelon; it's hard to choose a sweet one. I love Trader Joe's; hope that bad melon won't detour you from going back there!
 
How fun and loved your things in a row very much. Can't beat a new baby coming.

1. I celebrate my wonderful life and my family and friends every day of the year. Not just on holidays.

2. We don't really celebrate Independence day. We were on our boat (still are) because our dog can't take fireworks. It's quiet here because everyone else is out of the slip. Little Bit had a great 4th without the stress of fireworks, so no bay cruise for us.

Bonus Question. Yes the flag was flying all day long. Not at home, but at the boat. If we put it up at home no one is there to take it down when night comes.

Have a terrific day Jim. :)
 
Hi Jim!

Hope you had a *g*reat July 4th!

We celebrated with some American expats here in S Spain - *g*reat fireworks!

Have a *g*reat weekend too.
 
There are plenty of G's in this post / loved it and laughed half the way through, it was so much fun :)
Thanks for visiting my blog / me visiting back via Alphabet Thursday which I just discovered a week ago but is GGGGGGGGGGGGGGreat! :)
 
Hello.
The best and greatest thing that's happened in my life was meeting and marrying my beautiful wife...I'm a romantic at heart. I enjoyed reading your fun post. Thanks for sharing, Jim.

Goddess Of Fantasy
 
You peaked my interest so I had to read. You have so many many greats. Do you realize that? I mean it is great to read your greats because they make me happy.

I love your beautiful great granddaughter and you have a big beautiful family there.

Let's see = what is great in my life - first thing that comes to mind - is God - and my bloggie friends.

sandie
 
oh, family meeting :) great pics!
 
She is so cute. I love that age too!

Sound like you had a busy 4t of July. I did a lot this year with my SO's family too.
1) Great stuffs in my life are: my remarkable children, who are joyous to be around. My SO who is mellow and easy going. My sisters. My home. My service people that I have now. My job.
2) We serve fancy dishes and play games. We visit places we haven't been to and gather around late in the evenings for good stories.
 
That first photo is soooo precious! I imagine her saying, "I want what she's having!"
 
Your greats were great! That's one little cutie patootie great grandchild. And that toadstool...you could practically sit on it!!
 
What a great link for the letter "G".

Your family is lovely.

Elle is just adorable!

I can't believe how ginormous (not sure if that's a real word but it does start with G - ha!) that fungi is!

Thanks for being a fun guy yourself and linking up to A-T!

A+
 
Wow! Great great niece! Congratulations, Dr and Mrs Jim :)
 

Post a Comment





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?