Saturday, March 03, 2012

Two famous birthdays — Six Word Saturday —

.
My six words:

Happy Birthday to Republic of Texas
and
Happy Birthday (late) to Dr. Seuss



[Click on either picture to enlarge for reading]
[Pictures are of pages E1 and E2 of 3-2-2012 Houston Chronicle]
.
Texas was born (obtained independence) as a new nation on March 2, 1836. On that date Texans signed the Texas Declaration of Independence at Washington-on-the-Brazos, effectively creating the Republic of Texas. (Wikipedia)
.
The nation only live for nine years. In 1845 Texas was annexed by the United States of America. But every year Texans still celebrate Texas Independence Day. This years observance will be on the March 3rd and 4th weekend.

- - - - - -
.
Dr. Seuss was born March 2, 1904 in Springfield, Massachusetts and died September 24, 1991. He authored 46 children's books. The more famous were Green Eggs and Ham, The Cat in the Hat, One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish, Horton Hatches the Egg, Horton Hears a Who!, and How the Grinch Stole Christmas!. (
Wikipedia)

Yesterday across the United States our Dr. Seuss was honored by a national observance of Read Across America Day.

Here is the link from the paper for some Houston celebrities reading Green Eggs and Ham (http://blog.chron.com/bookish/2012/03/houston-celebs-read-green-eggs-and-ham-happy-birthday-dr-seuss/) . Barbara Bush, former United States First Lady and George H. W. Bush's wife, starts it off. The Bushes now live here in Houston, Texas.


Perhaps you have read some of his books and have a real favorite.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
Describe your life (or something) in a phrase using just six words for Six Word Saturday. Click the box at right to visit Cate's blog with Mr. Linky showing all the other blogs participating this week. Cate is the boss at Six Word Saturday. She would like for you to participate.

Labels: , ,


Comments:
I used to enjoy the Dr Seuss books!
 
I never really got into Dr Seuss books, I feel like I missed a big part of my childhood. I was much too serious a reader and ironically I didn't read Dr Seuss until I went to university and had to.
 
I always loved Dr Seuss and I like to use word play in my own writing as a result.

Thanks for removing the word verification. It is getting harder and harder to leave comments on Blogger, and I now give up after two attempts.
 
My kids loved Dr Seuss:
Would you eat them in the rain? Would you eat them on a train?
Not in the rain, not on a train,
Not with a goat, not on a boat,
I would not eat them here or there, I would not eat them anywhere!
I do not like green eggs and ham, I do not like them Sam-I-am.

Pure magic.
 
I think, we should bake a cake! Yes in honor of Thing One and Thing Two and the most adorable Cat in the Hat....it shall be in the shape of his hat! Great post!
 
I'd celebrate Texas' birthday day too. I love Texas. I hate California. Just saying.

Dr. Seuss was amazing. I grew up with Dr. Seuss, and so did my son and his children.

♪♪Happy Birthday to you,♪♪
♪♪Happy Birthday to you,♪♪
♪♪Happy Birthday Dear Texas,♪♪
♪♪Happy Birthday to you.♪♪

♪♪Happy Birthday to you,♪♪
♪♪Happy Birthday to you,♪♪
♪♪Happy Birthday Dear Dr. Seuss,♪♪
♪♪Happy Birthday to you.♪♪

Have a terrific day. :)
 
what an interesting coincidence... if he were still alive I'm sure he'd have something witty to say about it.

Dr. Seuss literally formed my childhood ---- go Dog Go... Are you my Mother, Put me in the zoo.... all great life lessons
 
As the saying goes.."I wasn't born a Texan, but I got here as fast as I could!" I've been living in West Texas for almost four years now and I'm proud to call it my home!

My kids grew up on Dr. Suess books, read over and over, I still find those twisted phrases poppping up in my mind from time to time. What wonderful books!!
 
Love love Dr Seuss, forever!
 
I have much fondness for Texas after spending 5 weeks there in 20006 - though of course was far from seeing all of that great State. I enjoyed enough to join in wishing a very sincere Happy Birthday!

I used to read Dr Seuss to my kids when they were little (they are now in their forties), and we loved Horton the Elephant best of all.
 
Jim - I loved Dr. Seuss for years and generations and generations. I think I have some memorized! sandie
 
Interesting facts. I didn't know about Dr Seuss until my offspring were grown-up, so my education has been sadly lacking.
 
Thank you for removing the word verification - It has been the bane of my life for far too long, and often prevented me visiting blogger blogs!
 
So many of your faithful readers are very happy that the words verification had been removed. Thank you, Dr Jim :)
 
Happy Birthday to all you Texans. We read Dr S books to our kids often.
The dining post below reminded me that I think we all would like to do that but it's one of those things you think about but never get around to getting done.
 
Hello Jim,
Hope you are doing fine. It's been awhile since I have been visiting. Things are pretty busy at home.
Nevertheless I was happy to receive a mail that seemingly had your mail address on it.
Even though I was the only familiar recipient, I opened it, and it turned out to be kind of Pandora's box. Luckily Gunnar saved me and my machine, but I think you should know that your name and seemingly your address, I'm not quiet sure is being ill used.
Sorry to bother you this way, but I feared to use the address on the mail.
My greetings to all of yours from Felisol
 
Hi Jim ~~ Happy Birthday to both Texas and Dr. Seuss. I have never read him as I was earlier than him.
I loved seeing my daughter Kathy and her husband and Jorja - a beaut surprise.
I have been so lucky with my kids - they are all great.
I have been trying to put on some weight as I lost quite a bit. I have been weighing 49 kilos - just over 100 lbs.
You lost a lot Jim and I hope you can keep some of it off.
I am glad you enjoyed the story and jokes etc The
Freedom story was nice and I am so sorry to hear that Adi isn't doing so well.
I hope she is not in pain.
Take great care, my friend, Cheers, Merle.
 

Post a Comment





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?