Thursday, March 29, 2012

Thursday Memes -- Things in a Row -- Two Questions -- Flags and Flowers

.

Thirteen flags have flown over Texas. Here are replicas for them in a circle row. Each flag in this Conroe, Texas, mini park is explained in a plaque on a pedestal below the flag. We must remember that Texas was a part of the Louisiana Purchase and also had won it's freedom as a nation from the Republic of Mexico.
.
Conroe is the county seat of our Montgomery County. Stands to reason then that the Montgomery Country Library System would have the Central Library in Conroe. I'm telling that because this little park is at the end of the parking lot for the library.
.
This Freedom Fighter Texian is typical of the soldiers who fought in our Texas Revolution to be free from Mexican rule. You can read about that on the plaque. Just click on it a couple of times to make it large enough to read.
.
The little hill leading up to the flags the flags are covered with Texas Blue Bonnets, our state flower. The picture on the lower left has a couple of Indian Paint Brush flowers which are also very common here, mingling in with the Blue Bonnets.
.
.
For more things in a row please visit Pat's Things in a Row post. You might like to post your own 'Things in a Row.'
.
And now for my Thursday Two Questions: (See Thursday Two Questions by Self Sagacity for more reading. You could also make your own by checking in at this link.)
...
Last week we answered questions about using our pets and the feeding of them. The bonus question was about having your pets sleep in bed with you. Several did have these pets for guests while sleeping. Some of the pets left after an hour or so retiring to the floor. Seems cats like to cuddle and stay around.

My Two Questions for this week:
.
1. Tell about a little park that you like to visit.

.
2. Should cities close some of their parks due to poor economy and lack of funds for nice things like parks? Why or why not do you say this?
...
My thinking is that when things are tight we need parks to relax and recreate where we can do that and help keep our own budget in line.

..e. .
Bonus Question: Do any of your parks make a display of your state flower? What is your state flower? Tell a bit your parks and flowers?
.
Mrs. Jim once gave me a Golden Rod plant which is the state flower of my birth state, Nebraska. It was to put in our flower bed as a display of wild flowers with a purpose. Those golden rods spread so fast that to this day they keep cropping up. The grow faster, easier, and better in Texas than they do in Nebraska.

Labels: , , ,


Comments:
I would like to go to the botanic gardens as I haven't been there in a while. I think parks are important and it shouldn't be closed as they are places for people to relax and families to go to spend time together.
 
I have always wanted to go to Calloway Gardens. I think the gardens or parks ought to stay open and charge a little less. Sandie
 
1. Yosemite Nation Park. Our local parks are filled with homeless people. Keep in mind that I live in California.

2. Here it makes do difference. The homeless don't care if the park is maintained or not.

3. Flowers? The homeless don't care about flowers.

Have a terrific day. :)
 
Thank you Sandee. I need comment here. If you enlarge on the second picture you see 'construction' in the background.

Actually that construction is fresh buldozing of a little 'forest' where a lot of our homeless had tents and cardboard lean-toos. They were given a couple of days to move or get their stuff bulldozed down into the tree and rubble piles. Many couldn't get moved with all their housekeeping stuff in that amount of time.

Many of the homeless eat with us at church on Wednesday nights. Mrs. Jim is on the board of directors of our local Family Promise (Google that) which provides food and lodging and helps homeless families get back on their feet.

I believe that every city needs to provide enough 'tent cities' for their homeless. About 40 percent of them around here sleep in their cars or other makeshift sleeping places. The rest are sheltered a little better.

Note: It is hard to keep a car when there isn't income but we have very little public transportation here in Texas.so the car is the last thing to go.
..
 
That is a nice memorial with the flags in a row. I love the bluebells.

Since we travel so much, I can't really say that we go to a favorite park to relax. We're not in any one place long enough to go to the same place! (Except Arizona!)

You asked me about snowbirds! There are tons in our park - including me! At least 50% of our park is made up of Canadians - some of my best friends.
 
Sorry I had to delete the last comment, because of an error that mess-up my writings.

Hi Jim. I don't know how you can come up with so many things in a row. I would get stuck, or would I?

Great questions. 1) Our closest park is a nicely shady place with lots of trees and beautiful play structures for kids. I love being there in the early mornings because it is so peaceful.
2) Yes. I think it is fair to close some parks that are not being utilized as much. We have many parks where we live and they are fairly close to one another. I think if our cities have budget crisis, it should be one of the items to cut. There are other places to visit for examples: trails are nice for walks and exercise, but nothing is wrong with going a little further to the next park either.
Thanks for playing TTQ
 
That is a lovely little park, I like that it is close to the library.

It's funny that we both picked parks for today's theme. My favorite park is the one I featured today. It has an aviary, lake and walking trails.

Parks are important places in that in some cities they are the only green spaces available. If at all possible they should not be closed. Maybe a community group could take over operation.

That's a good question. We have lived in this state for about ten years and all I can tell you is that it (WA) is the Evergreen State. I have no idea what the state flower might be.
 
1) There is a local park near my house that I love to visit, as it is by the soccer field where my son has games and practices.

2) I think each city should decide on which park to close, or to combine into one big beautiful one. Many small parks around my area have been abandoned for the lack of equipments or playscape for the kids.
 
Those are beautiful photos.

I've love to visit Hershey's park. I've heard so much about it.

2. If they have to close a park, I think they should hand it over to the community that uses it the most so they can take care of it. When we want space for our children, we'll take care of it.

I honestly don't remember our state flower, but now I go look it up :)

Happy weekend to you!
 
With thirteen to go.
 

Post a Comment





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?