Sunday, January 27, 2008

Peter's Sermon


Mr. Peter -- Fisherman who left his nets and followed Jesus everywhere He went while on earth [Bible, Books of Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John]
Rev. Peter -- Preacher of God's Message [Bible, Books of Acts and 1 and 2 Peter]
St. Peter -- Keeper of the Pearly Gates [
Matthew 16:18-20]

I first heard this sermon idea in a little church in Warrenton, Oregon, preached by a Methodist preacher there. We were visiting my Grandmother Corkill in the summer of 1984. Our visiting party consisted of Mom and Dad, Mrs. Jim, Karen, and me.

I don't remember that preacher's name. He started with the ordinary cantankerous fisherman, Peter, who was Jesus while he was alive here on earth everywhere he went.

Then after Jesus died and went to Heaven, Peter became the leader of the early church as recorded in the Bible book of Acts.


Peter's second sermon, after the healing of the cripple at the Beautiful Gate (Acts 3:1-10), included these elements of God's plan of salvation for the early church people and for all of us in Acts 3:13-26: (see The Cross Proclaimed)

- of humanity's guilt (3:13-15, 19, 26),
- God's wrath (3:23),
- the death of Christ (3:15),
- the prediction of His sufferings by the prophets (3:18, 24),
- His resurrection (3:15, 26),
- the necessity of repentance for salvation (3:19),
- and the fact that the forgiveness of sins was now being offered through Christ (3:19).

Some would include baptism which contained in Peter's first sermon
(
Acts 2:14-41) but is not included in his second sermon (Acts 2:38).

The greatest promise of all is made by the Heavenly Father: “For whoever calls upon the name of the Lord shall be saved” (
Rom. 10:13).

Labels: , , , ,


Comments:
Hi Jim ~~ Great post with the stor of Peter. It sounded a bit warmer for your last post ~ so that gives some hope of warmer weather in a few weeks or so. Thank you for your kind comments on my blog. I agree with you that I am very fortunate to have so many good friends and visitors, as I am sure you do also. And you travel and have Mrs.Jim for company,so we each have benefits. Those Nine Words were a worry as they rang so true, and as you say,
no rebuttal. Thanks for the very nice thing you said about me
knowing how to use the long handled spoon. I like to think so. Take care, Regards, Merle.
 
Dear Jim,
yeah, Peter is my man too.
So human and yet blessed and chosen.
I am fascinated by the contradictions
in this seawalker, denier, enthusiastic servant, the stumbling and falls of the guardsman of the Pearly Gate.
I'll be happy to be greeted him, confident that he'll understand all my flaws and falters.
That'll be the day.
Today was my father's earthly birthday.
I think we'll celebrate and remember some of the magic moments together with him.
From Felisol
 
Rev. Peter was crucified upside-down. Mr. Peter denied knowing Jesus three times. My kind of guy.
 
Hi again Jim ~~ Thanks for your comments and I thought you would enjoy the Blonde Cookbook. I hope I do most of those 36 stress reducers, but I haven't checked. Just try to do my best. Take care, Merle.
 
You wouldn't think the lesson would be so hard for some to understand, would you?
 
Dear Jim...Just came down to thank you for praying for Dad Golden and I read this fine post...
I remember once that the preacher gave the audience a real quick question;
"Now when I mention Peter's name what is the first thing that comes into your mind?....Sad to say that negative thinking people that we sometimes are, most of the people thought of how Peter had denied the Lord three times!
Way too sad the way we judge sometimes.
I mean most of us have denied the Lord's name many more times than THREE!!!

I have always liked Peter and this is why...
John 6:67-69

67..Then said Jesus unto the twelve, Will ye also go away?

68..Then Simon Peter answered him, Lord, to whom shall we go? thou hast the words of eternal life.

69..And we believe and are sure that thou art that Christ, the Son of the living God.


Take care Jim and Mrs Jim and give Adi a squeeze for me......Love Terry
 
Peter was a human being capible of making mistakes but still knowing and loving Jesus.

I noticed that you had your old car up for sale, how much? I have a friend in the market for a Cadiliac or a Contiental....If you still have it let me know. She lives in Cypress, Texas and lives closer to you than me. (Keep those feet warm.)
 
Good stuff here, Jim.
Everyone on earth needs to answer Christ's question, "Who do you say that I am?"
I'm with Terry on my favorite of Peter's great quotes: "Thou art the Christ, the Son of the Living God."
 
Great post Jim! It'll be something to see Peter at the Pearly Gates!!
 
Upon this rock I will build my Church and the gates of hell will not prevail against it.

Amen, brother Jim!

Peter failed, but didn't give up. In the end, he showed great faith, leadership, and strength.
 

Post a Comment





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?