Thursday, November 08, 2007

It's Ok -- the New Cell Phone Etiquette in eating places

[Click any picture for screen size view]


Brother-in-law Dan and wife, Winetta, and Mrs. Jim



Hey, what's this?





Oh, that's ok, Mrs. Jim is doing it too!


I do it too! So I thought I had better introduce you to the new rules of etiquette for using cell phones in restaurants. It used to be illegal in poor taste you know.

However, necessity and convenience breed change. Just accept it, change comes.

There does need to be some semblance of order in this matter, therefore I have developed the following New Revised Rules of Cell Phone Usage Etiquette in Restaurants. I do believe a few generalizations would make these rules applicable for cell phone use in most any public places.


NEW REVISED RULES OF CELL PHONE USAGE ETIQUETTE IN RESTAURANTS

1. Lay the phone on the table as soon as you sit down. This prevents so much annoyance to other patrons. Generally you can catch it on the first ring that way instead of fumbling through your pockets or purse to find the machine.
2. Talk no louder than you need. It is the loud cell phone talk that bothers other people. Besides loud talking disturbs others who are trying to use their cell phones.
3. Keep your conversation short.
4. Laugh quietly, not out loud! (LOL)
5. For an extended conversation or for more privacy go outside or to an unoccupied area.
6. Do not make unnecessary calls. A quick check on the kids, grandma, or your dog, and the like, is probably necessary now and then.
7. It is better to call while sitting in the restaurant than driving your car. This goes especially for text messaging (unless you have memorized the key placement and routine--like you did in touch typing).
(c. jimmiehov 2007)



NOTES AND LINKS:

1. This blog has been in the planning for quite some time (note the pictures are dated 1/20/2007, the day after my mother-in-law's funeral [link]).
2. Ken Hoffman probably will not like these rules, you may agree after reading his column in this Tuesday's paper (Houston Chronicle, link). BTW, his column did push my 'hurry and post button.'
3. Mrs. Jim reminded me today of her rule # 107, never wash dish towels and cloths with bath towels and socks. That is NOT a good rule for bachelors or men who do their own washing.
4. Any suggested changes or comments on the new revised rules will not be appreciated. Perhaps you could suggest some pleasing ringtones or the like.




IT'S OK LYRICS
[from Sing365.com (link)]
Artist: Eminem f/ Eye-Kyu

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , ,


Comments:
Cell phones don't really bother me that much, but they drive my husband out of his ever-lovin' mind. He is obsessed with people that use them. And I always have to hear about it.
 
My pet peeve isn't their use in restaurants but the people who find it necessary to talk very LOUD when they use the phone. You are correct, a conversational volume would never be noticed.
I always put mine on vibrate and then lay it on the table. The vibrate is easily heard by those at your table but not anyone else.
Also, I don't understand Mrs Jim's laundry rule. Wouldn't that require sorting of the laundry. I suppose she doesn't even want dirty underwear with her dishtowels.
 
Hi Jim I have one who doesn't but use only as emergency . Oh how I hate to get in a queue at the supermarket and the person in front of you is on the phone holding everyone up...
 
None of my white sox in with those dish towels either!

Cell phones still bother me unless it's me or Mrs. Jim.
..
 
FYI, this blog article just got a Red Alert from Elizabeth Large, dining writer of the Baltimore Sun in her Dining@Large newspaper blog.
Paste this link,
http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/entertainment/dining/reviews/blog/2007/11/red_alert_new_rules_for_cells.html
..
NOTE: Highlight from "http" on through the ".." before you copy and paste.
After you paste the whole thing in, then delete the ".." and enter.
 
I love my cell phone but the rule in resturant or meeting is - turn it on vibrate, if you must answer it (wife, kids, friends in Nebraska) open it on the the first vibrate but DO NOT talk until you have left the building. I hate it when I see people on cell phones in resturants.
Ralph
 
I like your cell phone etiquette.

I remember when Scrag got his first cell/mobile phone in England. I was so embarrassed to be near him, it was the size of a brick. lol Now I cringe when I see people just walking talking to themselves. They look insane.

We got another pathfinder. It is a Storm Gray colour. I love it... and it has satellite radio. woo hoo.

Mattmew is doing great. Had a couple of dodgy days but he is on the mend no. Thanks for checking on him Jim.

I am working on a post. lol

I will....

Hugs and take care xx
 
Hi Jim.
I have just updated my cell all I want to do is make calls and recieve calls,but of course it has all the gadgets I dont need.
My Daughter Janine sent me a text
with music when I try to show it to a friend I manage to ring my daughter.L.O.L
Great photos hope all is well with you and yours.
P.S. Say Hi to mrs Jim
 
I can't stand it when people talk LOUDLY and laugh LOUDLY while on the cell phone in a public place.
It is so irritiating.
I'm glad the rules addressed that.
 
I hope folks follow your cell phone etiquette rules!!
 
Here's my opinion on cell phones in public, at the dinner table, or any time you're around other people:

Unless you're waiting to be notified that your transplant organ has arrived, TURN IT OFF!!
 




<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?