Tuesday, September 12, 2006

June Bug, June Bug! . . . No, its September Bug!

Isn't this a weird sort of September Bug? Only on the Internet! Robots on Yahoo! News Photos: "A 'Winebot,' or a robot that can taste, fires off a beam of infrared light from its left arm to a bottle of Shiraz, and tell the kind of wine during a demonstration at a laboratory in Tsu, central Japan, Tuesday, Aug. 22, 2006. Some of the light is absorbed and the light that returns is then analyzed in real time to determine the object's chemical content. Researchers at NEC System Technologies and Mie University have designed the robot, a mechanical sommelier, that is able to identify dozens of different kinds of wine, cheeses and hors d'oeuvres. (AP Photo/Shizuo Kambayashi) " More, a full length article, at Yahoo News (link here) p.s. I have missed August Bug. It may still be coming!

Labels:


Comments:
a mechanical sommelier, that is able to identify dozens of different kinds of wine, cheeses and hors d'oeuvres.

Isn't that our job??
 
Do you suppose we could use it at the doctor's office for instant urinalysis tests?
Think of the possibilities.
 
Oh boy, what will they come up with next. Maybe a robot that can help me get organized. LOL!!
 
People come up with all sorts of things these days! I would never have known this Jim if it weren't for you!

I think Cliff is right about this one!!
 
I think it is cute! :)
 
Do you think it can tell the difference between Diet Coke and Coke? I don't like making that mistake.
 
Cliff -- The University of Houston here (my alma mater) has a degree in sommeliering, whatever its official name is. The robots grade the tests.

Seeker -- They would sniff only, no tasting of materials they don't like the smell of. One article did say they could do the wine tasting without opening the bottle. We'll put a cork in those urine sample bottles.

Lori -- I would like to get a Humanoid robot for GC#4 (my Granddaughter), but I would have to get one for me too. Radio shack has a couple of these types.
See www.robot.cafe.com

Rachel -- Sometimes I feel like I'm back to teaching on this blog.

JEL -- I would rate him/her a 9 1/2 on cuteness. I don't think the articles gave it a name.

Anon -- I'm sure it can tell. Karen gives us all a workout, she can't tell, but sure doesn't like Regular Coke, will only drink Diet Coke.
 
jim it looks like a hime to me! :)
 
Well I for one don't need something like that to do my wine tasting...I'm pretty good at that without any help thankyouverymuch.
 

Post a Comment





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?