Saturday, June 10, 2006

'for I was hungry and you gave Me food**

.
The Salvation Army. What comes to mind when you hear these words? First might be those bell ringing Santa Helpers at Christmas time. Next could very well be that monthly letter you get asking for some money.
.
Both of those ideas involve us giving of our money. Probably next on the lists would come the services the Army provides. Like food kitchens, camp for kids, clothes for people who can't pay, lots of help at disaster times, a temporary place to stay for the homeless, and of course the Salvation Army Thrift Store.
.
The picture shows where I spent my lunch hour and more yesterday. It is the Salvation Army of Conroe, Texas, building. Every day a meal is served to those in need, the hungry, unemployed, homeless, and, well a lot of unfortunate persons.
[Matthew 25:40 "And the King will answer and say to them, 'Assuredly, I say to you, inasmuch as you did it to one of the least of these My brethren, you did it to Me.'**]
.

Sunday morning breakfasts are also served. These are something really special.
.

.

Our church, the First Baptist Church of Conroe, Texas, cooks one meal a month; then another group from the church serve. This is the bunch serving today. From left to right are Patti, Annette, Dinnie, Warren, and Ellen. I was taking the picture. Warren and I served while the ladies filled the plates and cups.

.

.

Yesterday's menu was Frito Pie, green beans, bread, and cookies. When this picture was taken, we had run out of red punch. Warren was walking around with a pitcher of red punch and a pitcher of ice for refills.

.

We estimate that there were about 90 people eating and around 110 plates were served. Several had seconds. Everyone was supposed to sign in; I think most did.

.

There was one baby only a couple of weeks old, a few children, several families, and a lot of men and women by themselves. Quite a few were taking a lunch hour from their work. I would categorize everyone of these in the lowest income bracket, if they were able to get work at all.

.

All those eating were very polite and appreciative of their meal. Frito Pie is a winner everywhere. I like mine at a ball game, warm and ready to right out of the Frito bag.

.

.

We cleaned up pretty quick when it was over. The ladies cleaned the kitchen up. They packed the leftover food and Annette took it back to the church.

.

Warren cleaned the tables and mopped; I swept the floors and took out the garbage. We all felt like the time we had spent was so worth while. It is good to be retired and have time for things like this.

.

Just some old guys and gals giving a little back to the community.

.

[Don't forget the 'Name the Picture Contest' from yesterday]

.

STATUS CHECK:

ToDo: Help friend John by driving his 1937 Ford pickup to the Conroe Airport. He will bring his 1932 Ford coupe.

One of the service companies there is having an open house and has asked for as many old Fords as our club can bring.

Adi still hasn't finished the tire work on my 1950 so it will stay home.

John is retired from being the Conroe Regional Airport Manager.

The corporation will serve a barbecue dinner for lunch, we are included in that.

Mrs. Jim will meet me there at noon.

I will take my Sunday school lesson to finish up for teaching Sunday.

**Matthew 25:34-46

34 "Then the King will say to those on His right hand, 'Come, you blessed of My Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:

35 'for I was hungry and you gave Me food; I was thirsty and you gave Me drink; I was a stranger and you took Me in;

36 'I was naked and you clothed Me; I was sick and you visited Me; I was in prison and you came to Me.'

37 "Then the righteous will answer Him, saying, 'Lord, when did we see You hungry and feed You, or thirsty and give You drink?

38 'When did we see You a stranger and take You in, or naked and clothe You?

39 'Or when did we see You sick, or in prison, and come to You?'

40 "And the King will answer and say to them, 'Assuredly, I say to you, inasmuch as you did it to one of the least of these My brethren, you did it to Me.'

41 "Then He will also say to those on the left hand, 'Depart from Me, you cursed, into the everlasting fire prepared for the devil and his angels:

42 'for I was hungry and you gave Me no food; I was thirsty and you gave Me no drink;

43 'I was a stranger and you did not take Me in, naked and you did not clothe Me, sick and in prison and you did not visit Me.'

44 "Then they also will answer Him, saying, 'Lord, when did we see You hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or sick or in prison, and did not minister to You?'

45 "Then He will answer them, saying, 'Assuredly, I say to you, inasmuch as you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to Me.'

46 "And these will go away into everlasting punishment, but the righteous into eternal life."


Labels: , , ,


Comments:
Jim you a such a kind man an example to us all.

If my boys turn out to be the kind of man you are I will be a very happy mother.

Take care xx
 
Good for you. Thanks for doing what you do.
 

Post a Comment





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?